Sunday, July 03, 2005

Han Solo

Me
30(!)/M/Japan
Interests: Language, Computer Science, Books, Movies, Music, Games, etc.

What made you decide to start a blog like this?
Like other people, I read the Darthside blog, and it was fantastic. I think it got my hopes up (too high, it turns out) for Episode III. It REALLY enhances the original triology though. Read Darthside and watch ROtJ again; fantastic.

Why did you choose your particular character?
To me, Han was the real star of the original trilogy. I didn't really care about Luke or his family problems. I cared about this scoundrel, dragged kicking and screaming into a rebellion he wasn't keen on, more than the main character. I think that those of us whom grew up on the original trilogy and found the prequels lacking, felt so because there was no Han Solo equivilent.

I almost went the Lando route. That character has so little screen time that you really have a wide range of options. But, in the end, I thought Han would be more fun. I'd still like to see a Lando blog, or a Threepio blog (too bad about his memory). An R2 blog would by necessity be non-human-readable, unfortunately.

If you post often, where do get ideas?
I don't get to post as often as I'd like, due to my heavy work schedule, but when I do, I get my ideas the Darthside way: from the original trilogy. Prior to starting GoingSolo, I hadn't watched the original movies for years. Now I've re-watched the Special Editions, and am currently going through the unaltered Laser Disc versions.

If you measure stats for your blog, what site or company do you use?
I also use Statcounter. It's quick and easy to set up. I've used other services before; currently I think Statcounter is the best of the breed.

Tips and Tricks
1) Use RSS.
I use Sage in Firefox (if you use Internet Explorer, I used to use Pluck, but had problems with it). This way, I don't have to manually check which blogs have been updated and which haven't. Unfortunately, Blogger doesn't yet have LiveJournal-style comments (nested comments, notification of replies), so those you have to check manually. Alas.

2) Edit your template!
Remember to save a copy first (in Windows, CTRL-A selects all, CTRL-C copies to the clipboard, and CTRL-V pastes [to, say, a blank notepad textfile]), and go to town. If you have a saved original, you don't have to worry about messing anything up.

A lot of the template is self-explanatory, and there's a lot of fun stuff you can do (for example. Han Solo's blog description changes randomly on page refreshes; I'm thinking about adding peekaboo comments).

I try to comment what I do in the template, so if you want to know how I did something, you can always look at the source.

---
Phoenix

4 Comments:

Blogger Count Dooku said...

We've got a real mix of blogs here:

You, Palpatine and Vader have taken the non-comical path, though there are gems of humour in there.

The rest of us have taken the stand-up comedy path.

Isn' that cool?

July 03, 2005 10:51 PM  
Blogger Shaak Ti said...

What?! I am comical, you have to read my comments on secura's!

-Ti

July 03, 2005 11:29 PM  
Blogger Shaak Ti said...

Oh wait, youre talking about Han.

July 03, 2005 11:41 PM  
Blogger Obi Wan Kenobi said...

sorry did not realise your were from japan before you said otherwise I wouldn't have questioned the kanji. ^_^

July 05, 2005 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home