Friday, July 22, 2005

I am Fluke as you are he as you are me and we are all together

goo goo g’joob.

There are some who call me....Drew?
34/M/USA
manufacturing/engineering director

Why're you doing this?
fun...and escape. Big Sci-fi fan. Just following Yoda's, Han's and ol' Ben's footsteps.

Why Fluke Starbucker? He's not even a real character, for crying out loud.
Actually he is, though not from Star Wars. He's a spoof....from possibly the first indy parody of SW called "Hardware Wars" that came out in 1977. I think I read somewhere that Lucas considered it his fav parody of Ep4. If you're into bad , bad low budget, low-tech movies that are built on stupidity, making fun of an original, and are just plain cheesy ( I'm looking at you, Leia), you should make an attempt to locate a copy and check it out. I assure you, you will want a refund of whatever money you paid to rent it, and you be sorely disappointed, but that's most of the beauty of it.

Let's take a quick look at one memorable moment from Hardware Wars:

Fluke Starbucker: Jeepers! What is it, Augie Ben Doggie? Did you feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced?
Auggie Ben Doggie: No, just a little headache.

Anyway, with Fluke, I can whine like Luke did in the movies and complain about people confusing me for Luke, and often, I'll try to very closely mimic the Luke from the screen. For example - the message I sent to Obi about my missing Lightsabre was written as a parallel with Leia's message to Obi from EP4 in mind. Fluke entering Jabba's lair was written to resemble Luke's entrance in Ep6....

but here's what I really like - I'm not trapped into being Luke. I am free to be whatever, so I can guiltlessly make fun of anything - SW, or Trek, or any other galaxy.

Generally, Fluke is naive, tenderhearted, competitive, and good-natured. He will always push for good to triumph, and likes to look at the bright side of any and all situations.

You post 5 days a week, where do you get ideas?
Normally it's off the cuff as they hit me, or I may play on something from any of your blogs - like with Aayla's rescue. But on that one, I attempted to think ahead some, and it hurt my brain, and didn't flow as well as I would've liked.

Oh, and about the M-F... looks out on production floor to see if anyone's paying attention, then whispers: Yes, I strictly blog at work. shhhhh! Don't tell anybody. I'm very busy aside from the blog, and sometimes come in early or stay late to do it. But here this week I've had to resort to putting up nonsense images in the hopes you guys would comment something interesting about them...sorry. Also, the corporate filter here prevents me from the forum, but I'll hopefully be able to visit there once or twice a week.


Pics?
GIS and YIS produce slightly different results on searches. I also Photoshop and Paint, and have a fairly large collection of old and new manipulated images that I like to write around.

Tips and tricks I know from blogging?
Nothing comes to mind. Fluke is my first blog. I'm learning from you guys.

Comments?
They're good. I like them: reading them and leaving them.

I never would've imagined this would be this much fun.

9 Comments:

Blogger JawaJuice said...

like with Aayla's rescue. But on that one, I attempted to think ahead some, and it hurt my brain, and didn't flow as well as I would've liked.

Are you kidding? That whole rescue thing is now a classic in the halls of our SW blogs. I don't think I laughed that much ever!
You and Yoda are the reasons I'm here doing this.

Glad to finally meet you.so what city do you live in?

And yes, Hardware wars is great! I haven't seen it since it came out way back in the late 70's. I thought the name was familiar.

Keep posting...don't get caught...don't drink the water.

July 22, 2005 6:08 PM  
Blogger Leia said...

Welcome! lol, Hardware Wars sounds awesome. Spaceball sounds cool too. And the rescue with Aayla made history!
(does the Michael Jackson dance)

July 22, 2005 6:12 PM  
Blogger Captain Typho said...

Hardware Wars, along with many other funny Star Wars fan films can be found on the Atom Films site. Look for this one under the 2003 Pioneer Award link.

http://www.atomfilms.com/af/spotlight/collections/starwars/

July 22, 2005 6:35 PM  
Blogger Captain Typho said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 22, 2005 6:37 PM  
Blogger Captain Typho said...

Darn. The URL keeps getting cut off.

After "collections" paste this:

/starwars/2003_films_winners.html

July 22, 2005 6:41 PM  
Blogger Master Yoda said...

Welcome Drewbucker!
(Sorry, Rebecca/Qui Gon, or as I like to call her, Quibecca, has me thinking up combo names)

Your blog adds some balance to the Force, or at least to our little group. We are all glad you decided to join us.

July 22, 2005 11:53 PM  
Blogger Qui-Gon Jinn said...

Welcome Drew,
Thanks for the introduction, mate.
Quibecca

July 23, 2005 11:56 PM  
Blogger flu said...

Hey guys, Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words.

I guess the rescue did flow well enough, but I thought I copped out near the end and relied too much on the Spores. *shrug*

I really enjoy hitting all of your blogs several times daily.

July 25, 2005 9:35 AM  
Blogger Cardboard Knight said...

On a claymation show called robot chicken, they did a spoof on Luke and Vader in cloud city. When I looked at the credits, my mom saw that the guy who plays luke in the movies actually did a voiceover for that show. I would guess he was doing Luke's voice.

-Sir Cardbored

July 25, 2005 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home