Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Our Goals

If you haven't voted on Phoenix/Han's poll below, please scroll down and do so.

I would be interested in finding out what everyone's blogging goals are, if you have any.

Would you like to receive more traffic to your blog? What about your non-character blog(s)?

Or are you content with the traffic you have now, and aren't really interested in having any more visitors?

Either way, it's cool.

The reason I ask has to do the implications of this blog that Shaak Ti has bestowed upon us. Do we use it to increase traffic to our blogs and/or further any other common goals we may have, or do we just use it as a fun place to hang out?


_____________

In answer to my own questions, I have no ambitions of making millions of dollars off of Yoda. When I first started, I thought it would be something fun to do a couple of times a week, and that maybe it would make some people laugh.

However you've seen the obnoxious eBay and Google AdSense ads on my site. Once my blog started to receive more traffic, it occured to me that maybe I could use that to make a little extra money to supplement my income from my job and help support my family. I'm not greedy or delusional - like most other people, a little extra income would go a long way.

I also re-discovered how much I enjoy writing. And I started to remember my childhood dream of becoming a published writer. So I began writing more on Bill Johnson's Blog and created Bill Johnson's Fiction. I would like to use Yoda's popularity to promote those blogs as well. Again, no delusions of grandeur here. I don't expect to become Stephen King and be able to quit my job, move to the Bahamas, and write best-selling novels while sitting on the beach sipping Long Island Iced Teas all day (man, I just realized how nice that sounds!). But if one day I got just one short story published in some small magazine, that would be awesome. I've never tried to get published before, but my blogging, and the feedback I've received from it, has motivated me to work towards that. Of course, I need to devote more time and energy to these goals if I expect to achieve them.

There you go. I've exposed my naked ambition to you all.

You're turn. What are your goals?

9 Comments:

Blogger Chancellor Palpatine said...

Personally, I am just doing it for fun. I have no delusions of becoming a professional writer, or getting paid to do it. I also added some adsense ads to my blog. I won't make any money off of it, but it's worth a try.

I am currently unemployed, but actively looking for a job. If I get one, and it pays me enough, I may not have enough time then to work on the blog, which is a shame. Too early to tell at this point since I don't even have any interviews lined up at the moment. ;-)

July 05, 2005 11:05 AM  
Blogger Master Yoda said...

I expect most of us are doing this for fun. To be honest, that's why I started.

However, would you still like to drive more traffic to your site?

July 05, 2005 11:11 AM  
Blogger Qui-Gon Jinn said...

I love roleplaying. I've done it with other groups and on other sites. This is getting me back into the creative mix again, which is a joy for me. I don't think I've ever felt like I need to be funny so much though. I am a funny person. I have a sense of humour. I just feel like here, funny sells more than serious, for me at least.
I'm quite happy to have the SW gang reading my stuff. I don't see my posts becoming the phenom that Master Yoda's are.
One thing though, we all link off each other. Master Yoda gets the most traffic of our lot, I'd guess. So what if master Yoda linked to all of us? Trickle effect? Then other non-SWUntied people can 'run the circuit.'
Rebecca

July 05, 2005 11:24 AM  
Blogger Master Yoda said...

Rebecca,

You're very funny. Sometimes your comments on my blog make me jealous, because they're funnier than my posts!

The reason I haven't linked to any of you on my blog is that from very early on non-SWU bloggers were asking me to reciprically link to them. At the time, I had already found over 100 other sites that link to me. (There are several times that now.) I felt if I link to one person, I have to link back to everybody that links to me. So I adopted a policy of not linking to anyone else's blogs, other than in individual posts.

However, I may make an exception to that policy for SWU members. Maybe I'll put a special SWU blogroll on my blog.

July 05, 2005 11:36 AM  
Blogger Aayla Secura said...

I just enjoy writing. I use my blog as an outlet for my imagination, as well as a place to expose my crazy sense of humor. I love blogging. It's just plain fun!

July 05, 2005 11:54 AM  
Blogger Jar Jar Binks said...

Well, I'm doing it for practise.
I *would* like to be a professional writer at some unspecified point in time, and funny stuff is what I'm good at. So - there you go. But, fun comes into it as well.

July 05, 2005 10:36 PM  
Blogger Count Dooku said...

Well, I feel like a bit of a tag-along, outclassed by much better writers.

Still, it's a load of fun.
Writing ain't my thing, really, I'm into film, but I'm give the whole writing thing a shot.

July 06, 2005 2:10 AM  
Blogger Master Yoda said...

You write well, Nick. I enjoy your blog.

July 06, 2005 8:11 AM  
Blogger sci-fi and super-heroes said...

i would like more people to read my blogs so thats why i started.
i also remember wanting to be a writer but for comic books.
spider-man mostly.
so i say, dam the doubts...
all you need is the will and desire which you seem to have in quantity.
realize your dream and just do it.

July 07, 2005 11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home