Friday, July 08, 2005

The Shaquanda Factor - Master Yoda

Springer. That word is the very epitome of what is wrong with humanity. It is also represents the only way people who live in trailer parks and housing projects can get on TV, unless you count the 6 o'clock news. I never watch the show by choice, and every time I am forced to watch it, I feel myself getting stupider by the minute.

Unfortunately, it seems Mr. Springer and I have a cross-over demographic in our audiences, because I've gotten a number of requests in the form of comments for Yoda to go on the Jerry Springer Show. I had resisted the idea. I always thought Yoda was too classy to go on that show. But I figured it was a good way to end the Dooku series of posts I was doing. Besides, I'm not above compromising my creative integrity in order to kiss up to my readers.

So its 2:30 in the morning as I'm writing the post and thinking I should probably have Dookie Monster and the Green One share the stage with other Springer guests. After all, how do you really know it's the Springer show if not for the guests? Jerry really serves roughly the same purpose on that show as the furniture. So I come up with two characters, Charlene, who lives in a trailer park, and Shaquanda, who probably lives in a housing project. Then I decide the story would be too convoluted to have both characters, so Charlene gets the ax.

But as I'm writing Shaquanda's part, I'm thinking there might be problems. This character could be controversial. I had two concerns:
1) Someone might accuse me of furthering a racial stereotype, which was not my intention. In fact, I try to do the exact opposite on my blog. Not because it's politically correct but because it's the right thing to do. Besides, it's funnier that way. So Shaquanda was really meant to represent a typical Springer guest, nothing else.
2) I was giving Shaquanda a lot of space, and almost all of the action. I imagined complaints similar to, "I wanted to see Yoda kick some butt, not this Shaquanda person."

I decided to go with my original ideas however and just brace for the negative reaction. It turns out, I did get a fairly strong reaction to that character - an overwhelmingly positive one. As of this writing, I have 21 comments, and a number of them have to do with Shaquanda, some of them even indicating they would like to see her in upcoming posts! It just goes to show you never know how people will react.

Will we see Shaquanda in future posts? I'm thinking about it. It would be a first for Master Yoda's Blog. So far, all of the characters have been existing ones created by Mr Lucas and Co. Also, I've been careful only to include in Yoda's supporting cast characters that readers would be familiar with if they've seen the movies (but not necessarily read the books or anything else in the "expanded universe"). But who knows? I'll be asking you SWU members what you think when next I visit the forum.
_____________
In other Yoda news, I've put up a Star Wars United list of links on the Yoda blog, linking to every member of our little group. In keeping with the majority will here, as expressed in Han/Phoenix's poll he posted a couple of days ago, I don't actually link to this blog, just the individual members. I know it's overdue. You guys have been linking to me and each other for a long time.
But as you may have noticed, I don't link to anyone else's blogs. The reason for that has to do with a policy I adopted early on. Shortly after the Yoda blog became popular, people started offering the reciprocal linkage. That was nice and all, but I had found at the time over 100 different sites that had linked to me, and the list continued to grow. I didn't want to have a great big long ugly link list, yet I felt if I link to one person, I have to link to everyone. Besides, there were some blogs I didn't want to link to; you know the kind.
But I hate to hurt people's feelings. So I decided it would be easier just to tell everyone, "I'm sorry, I don't link to anyone. It's not you. It's me. But we can still be friends, right?" I also decided that any linking I do would be within the posts themselves.
However, I've made an exception for you guys. You've made up the core of my readers lately, especially in the form of comments, so it's the least I can do. I hope you can forgive me.

_____________
In other SWU news, the Mighty Chewbacca has joined us! Welcome! Write a post and introduce yourself, Chewie. While you're at it, join the forum too.

-Bill

4 Comments:

Blogger General Grievous said...

hey bill you might want to fix ur links, the link to my blog is titled JawaJuice and has some code after it

cheers, Johnathan

July 09, 2005 12:38 AM  
Blogger Master Yoda said...

Sorry about that, and thanks for catching it, Johnathan.

It's fixed now. It was a missing quotation mark in the HTML. I thought I had checked every link, too. I re-checked them this time.

Anyway, if anyone else finds a broken link, thinks that I left them out, or for some reason does not want me to link to them, please let me know.

July 09, 2005 12:50 AM  
Blogger Jar Jar Binks said...

Hmm.
Perhaps it might be an idea to find someone to write Shaquanda's blog for you. She's obviously a popular character, you can tell that from the comments on the post where she made her debut. Or you could do it yourself, if you have time.

Just a thought; she's your character, and I know you might just want to keep her just as a piece of Yoda's blog.

July 09, 2005 5:58 AM  
Blogger Master Yoda said...

Chris/Jar Jar
You know, that's interesting. I thought about a Shaquanda blog (maybe one that's not even Star Wars related). But I don't have time to do yet another blog. I don't really have time to do the four (including this one) I have now. And I'm not quite ready to hand over a completely original character to someone else yet.

I was thinking maybe Shaquanda could guest post on Yoda's blog every once in a while.

I still don't know what I'm going to do with her. She was supposed to be a one-trick pony. And I don't really know how to fit her in with the other characters. She seems to mess up the dynamic in the Jedi Temple.

I also don't want to over-expose her by bringing her up too often.

I'll be asking for more ideas in the Forum.

July 09, 2005 9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home