Thursday, July 07, 2005

Who am I? Why am I here?

Well I got the invite last week and I sat down and I thought about it and thought about it and thought about it some more. I thought about it so hard that I neglected my hygiene and personal affairs. I thought Why would I, a non-Star Wars character want to be in a group blog for Star Wars characters? Then I thought Screw it, I'm joining.

I am 34, I live in Chicago, Illinois, USA, Planet Houston. My name really is Jon (actually, Jonathan, but Jon is short). I am married and have one kid, who I've blogged about before. I don't want to say too much because I love the character that I have created here and I don't want to spoil it by "breaking the fourth wall" too much. I really enjoy being able to comment on different types of science fiction without committing myself to one "universe."

What made you decide to start a blog like this?
I started out telling people as a joke that being an Intergalactic Gladiator was my dream job, then I started thinking about what kind of stories an IG could tell, and how it would be like an action hero with dumb lines and stuff. I've never blogged before, but then seeing Yoda's kind of inspired me to do it. It's like he's the Johnny Appleseed of science fiction blogging or something.

Why did you choose your particular character?
I took the above idea and expanded from there, I'll do something about being a gladiator, then I'll sing on the 10 Forward or visit Yoda. I can do something off the wall, then slip in something about my daughter or something.

If you post often, where do you get your ideas?
All over. Bruce The Ewok came from the idea that a gay Ewok would look funny. There's not much more to that joke, so I made some of the story into a comment on isolation -- and what's a sci fi story if it isn't making some comment about society? I wrote the Buck Rogers news article about 6 or so months ago like an Onion story and decided to add it.

Where do you get the pictures for your blog?
A lot of them come from google searches. A few from other places. I don't have Photoshop, so the editing comes from MS Paint, except for Bruce the Ewok, one of my coworkers helped with that. I host the photos on Imageshack.

How do you keep the Clone Troopers from charging?
Take away their credit cards, narf!

5 Comments:

Blogger Zed Redderick said...

I like the idea. Be a stickler for detail though I like being kept enthralled in a story.

July 07, 2005 8:02 PM  
Blogger Qui-Gon Jinn said...

JON!
It's the Jon!
Wow!
I am geeking SO bad right now! I mean, Master Yoda and Jon!
*hyperventilates and passes out*
Rebecca

July 07, 2005 10:32 PM  
Blogger Master Yoda said...

Welcome Jon!

July 07, 2005 10:36 PM  
Blogger sci-fi and super-heroes said...

jon i feel as lost as you seem. how do i get people to read my blogs. i am so depressed. i love many topics and loved the comments about 10 forward. wonder if guinan is still serving up her usual.
is gary the gay ewok a top or bottom. just curious.

July 07, 2005 11:35 PM  
Blogger sci-fi and super-heroes said...

sorry that was bruce the ewok. maybe gary is his lover? sounds good to me.

July 07, 2005 11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home