Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Phishing Emails

This isn't really related to our blogging, but I thought it was important to share anyway:

I've been getting some "phishing" emails lately in my AskYoda email lately. Fortunately, I identified the email as phishing email right away and reported it as such to GMail. This is something to look out for, especially if your email address is embedded in your blog.

For those of you who don't know what a phishing email is - someone may send you an email that looks like it came from PayPal, or eBay, or your bank. In the email they tell you that your account has been terminated, or something similar. In order to reactivate your account, you need to click a link and fill in your identifying info. The link will usually go to a page that looks like it is part of PayPal.com, eBay.com, etc., but it is really a page on the website of a scammer who wants to use your personal info to get to your personal wealth.

The important thing to remember is that no legitimate company will solicite your data this way. If you think it might be genuine, don't click the link in the email, but go directly to PayPal's website, or the website of your bank, etc. and check out your account status.

I encourage everyone who wants to use an email address on their site never to use their regular email address. Always use an anonymous web-based email address (Hotmail, Yahoo, GMail, etc.) instead. I'd be happy to send a GMail invite to anyone here who wants one.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jar Jar Binks said...

Heh heh. If this happens to me (I have no such bank account) I'll apply the strategy outlined on Jar Jar's blog: find their e-mail address and see who's better at spamming.

August 18, 2005 12:48 AM  
Blogger owenlars said...

You are wise beyond that of any sage, master Yoda...But the spammers are coming, and they're bringing friends. let's all beware... New ways to screw us up these jagoffs will think up, I fear. Queer e-mail we should not click on.

August 18, 2005 1:59 AM  
Blogger Qui-Gon Jinn said...

The best thing you can get is junk snail mail to your alter ego. My Paypal and eBay accounts are under another name. It is lovely when I get mail addressed to someone who doesn't exist.
Paige Guthrie, the Nutrasweet Queen
(Geez, it's been *years* since I've written that... Now, some ultra-uber geek, tell me who 'Paige Guthrie' is. I'll give you a clue. Marvel comics...)
Quibecca, too

August 18, 2005 8:23 AM  
Blogger JawaJuice said...

*Geek steps up to the podium...*
Is she related to Sam Guthrie/Cannonball? If so, probably a mutant but it's after my time of colecting comics.
Now if you ask me a ANY Marvel question from 1961-1986, I can answer it flat out.
*Geek steps down and hides his head*

August 18, 2005 11:04 AM  
Blogger Han Solo said...

Paige Guthrie is Canonball's sister, Husk. You can see a picture of Husk here.

August 18, 2005 11:13 AM  
Blogger JawaJuice said...

Husk? Husk?!?
What kinda name is Husk?
What does she think she is, a corncob?

...Oh superheroes these days...

August 18, 2005 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home