Saturday, October 01, 2005

A New Competition

This is to announce a new competition - the Star Wars: Unplugged Post of the Week and Blog of the Month awards - an opportunity for our members to recognize the skillful bloggery of others.
The rules:

Post of the Week
Each week, on Monday, anyone may e-mail me one nomination for the Post of the Week Award. The first five nominations I recieve will be entered in the competition

Criteria for nomination
  • No one may nominate their own posts - this is the cardinal rule, since this competition is about recognizing the good work of others, not yourself.
  • No author can be nominated more than twice in one week
  • Similarly, no one may nominate more than one post in the same week.
  • Posts written by an author who has already won a Post of the Week award in the same month cannot be nominated (for reasons relating to the Blog of the Month rules).
  • A post must have been written in the previous week to be eligible.
  • Posts written by Star Wars Unplugged members OR by Star Wars bloggers in general are eligible. It doesn't have to be both.

Once I have five nominations, I'll post them on the forum. After the nominations have been posted, people can e-mail me (mesa_jarjar_binks@hotmail.com) to vote. No one can vote more than once - if I catch anyone trying to trick me, I won't let them vote at all; so don't try unless you're sure you can succeed (I shouldn't have said that). Also, only SWU members can vote, so don't e-mail me using an out-of-character address or I won't know who you are.
On Sunday, I'll count all the votes I've recieved and declare a winner. Then, everything starts anew on Monday.

Blog of the Month
This competition is held in the second week of each month. The competitors are the winners of the previous four Post of the Week awards. On Monday, I'll post to remind everyone who those are. Then, voting begins and I'll count everything up on Sunday. Since there were no Post of the Week awards in September, the first Blog of the Month award will be the October award - voting for which will begin on 7 November (plenty of time).

Finally; your votes and nominations are your own business - I won't tell a soul about who voted for who. Confidentiality is a part of my job in real life, and I take it seriously.

Nominations for the first competition begin on 10 October - any post written between 3 and 9 October will be eligible. Any questions?

12 Comments:

Blogger owenlars said...

Is this a joke? I hope so!

October 02, 2005 12:37 AM  
Blogger Jar Jar Binks said...

*Gasp* I've suddenly realised that I don't care about your opinion! That was a shock.

October 02, 2005 12:59 AM  
Blogger Leia said...

Sounds cool. Is it something where everyone has to vote, or you can vote whenever you want to?

Holy crap! Someone not caring about Javie's opinion? What the heck, that impossible!

October 02, 2005 7:51 PM  
Blogger Jar Jar Binks said...

No, there's no reason anyone *has* to vote - even if there was such a rule, there'd be nothing I could do about it.

October 03, 2005 1:46 AM  
Blogger jedisiri said...

yeah that's fun!*clap*

October 03, 2005 10:33 AM  
Blogger Noel of Neptonian said...

Ok I got a couple qustions.

#1- You say to nominate on Monday. Is that in our time or your time? Because if I remember correctely you are almost a day ahead of us that are in the U.S.

#2- What would happen if your first five nominations are for the same person? Or if it's the same person but different posts?

Well that's all I got for now.

October 04, 2005 1:51 AM  
Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

What happens if I've got nothing but garbage to post this week? I'm just treading water until my 100th post...

October 04, 2005 6:45 AM  
Blogger Jar Jar Binks said...

Monday, Greenwich Mean Time - that's Sunday evening for me, Monday afternoon for you.

If I get more than one nomination for the same person, then I'll only use the first. Or maybe I'll pick at random.

And Jon, if you have nothing but garbage, then there's always next week.

October 05, 2005 1:13 AM  
Blogger Jar Jar Binks said...

"Monday, Greenwich Mean Time - that's Sunday evening for me, Monday afternoon for you."

Or is that the other way round? Gah - I hate time-zone trickery.

October 05, 2005 1:15 AM  
Blogger Noel of Neptonian said...

I believe it's the other way around, meaning it would be Sunday evening for us and Monday afternoon for you. Because if I remember correctly I chatted with you a couple weeks ago and it was like around 4:30 p.m. on a Thursday here and there you said it was like 9:00 a.m. on Friday.

So we should send our nominations in on Sunday. RIGHT?

October 05, 2005 2:06 AM  
Blogger Captain Typho said...

Yeah, it would be Sunday for everybody west of GMT.

October 06, 2005 11:51 AM  
Blogger Jar Jar Binks said...

Hmm. That sounds right. I suppose.

October 07, 2005 6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home