Tuesday, April 11, 2006

All Good Things...

After much consideration, soul-searching, and calling in to at least a dozen radio talk shows for advice (which is the best place to get advice), I've decided to end Master Yoda's Blog with the April 20th post, the one year anniversary for that blog.

It may or may not be the permanent end of the blog. It may just be the start of a long sabbattical. I may come back to it later. Or maybe not. If there's one thing about me, it's that I am committed to being indecisive, unless I later decide to be decisive.

There are several reasons I have come to this decision. I won't list them all here. I will tell you that much like the daughters in the Tampon commercials, Master Yoda's Blog has long had that "not so fresh feeling". That's not to say I've been running out of ideas recently. I "ran out of ideas" around post 75. I can keep writing about how Obi-wan's a Cheeto-obsessed redneck, and how Windu is a neurotic girlie-man. But's it's gotten a little stale. I'd like to think when Master Yoda's Blog started, I was doing some things with it you didn't see other bloggers doing. But now it's gotten pretty formulaic. So I think this is a good place to stop.

What have I got planned for the last few days of the blog? Not much. Look for Yoda to have at least one "flash forward" where he will meet the other Young Skywalker. And I plan a special gift for all of my readers on the April 20th post. Hopefully, that will come to fruition. What I have planned will take a lot of work, so I'm not making any promises.

I will say that I have enjoyed getting to know all of you. It has been a real blast. I won't be going away entirely. You may see a comment by Yoda on your blogs every now and then. I also hope to post every once in a great while as characters other than Yoda on the Uncle Skeeter blog that JabaJim started. I may also ask to be involved in one of your future reality show parodies, though my schedule probably won't allow me to participate in Jon's gladiator contest (see his post below). And I will continue to check the "AskYoda" email account. However, I will be substantially less involved, so if you still want three active admins for the SWU blog, you should probably choose someone to replace me.

In any event, I won't be leaving the Blogospere entirely. I hope to post more regularly on Bill Johnson's Blog, maybe post another story on Bill Johnson's Fiction. I'm also working on this project. If I go through with it, it will probably start in September when the new TV season starts. It will be a place for episode re-caps, reviews, and celebrity news. I hope you'll stop by.

I anticipate there may be questions, so let me answer a few of them here:

Q: Since you're quitting Master Yoda's Blog, would you mind if I started my own Yoda blog?
A: It's a free country Blogosphere. Yoda belongs to Mr. Lucas anyway, and I didn't ask his permission before I started my blog.

Q: Can I take over Master Yoda's Blog?
A: No, Hades no.

Q: Is it alright if I use one of the characters you created (i.e. Bob the Bantha, Harvey the Youngling, Steve the Spider, etc)?
A: You guys have always been free to use those characters. Besides, it would be extremely hypocritical of me to have ripped off Mr. Lucas' characters and not let others use my own.

Anyway, thanks for the memories, guys. You've made this a lot of fun for me.

***Note: My last post will be the one dated April 20th, but as you may have noticed, my posts lately have been dated a day behind the actual date. So the last post will actually appear on the 21st.

17 Comments:

Blogger Lt. Cmdr Oneida said...

We'll miss you!

April 12, 2006 12:05 AM  
Blogger Count Dooku said...

Thus ends a legend...

We will indeed miss you - you've been an incredible force behind this community, and it'll be hard without you.

Take care, man.

April 12, 2006 2:02 AM  
Blogger Jango Fett said...

That is sad, more people leaving blogger. I hope you come back and I wish you luck Bill.

April 12, 2006 7:46 AM  
Blogger Jabafatboy said...

Keep in touch !!

April 12, 2006 8:58 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

NOOOOOO! Bummer, we'll miss you Bill.

April 12, 2006 9:13 AM  
Blogger flu said...

but... but... but...

Who will we look to for wisdom? Direction? Erstwhile passages from the book of Jedi code? Pooper scooters?

bummer, man.

April 12, 2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger Master Yoda said...

Thanks guys. I'll drop in from time to time, so you won't be rid of me completely!

April 12, 2006 11:17 AM  
Blogger JawaJuice said...

Alas, I understand the urge to continue to be creative and seek out new endeavors. I enjoy your writing very much and look forward to what ever you decide to do in the future.
And although your posts will no longer grace us on an (unimaginable) daily basis, your presence throughout our little SW blogging community will always be felt.
All of us, in some way, owe you a creative nod. If it weren’t for you and Master Yoda’s blog, there most likely would not have been the rich creative soil for the rest of us to grow in. You are the architect of this universe, and you will be greatly missed.

April 12, 2006 12:03 PM  
Blogger A Army Of (Cl)One said...

Well Dang! I hope to have your longivity in my goofing in blogland. Good luck on your endevors and I'll stop by the your other sites just to freak out your new fan base :P

April 12, 2006 12:48 PM  
Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

It's unfortunate that you feel that you have to go like this. You have brought a lot of people together with your blog, but I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say that I noticed the dip in your postings.

Before you make your decision, however, I want you to think about one thing: multi-post stories. With multi-post stories, you can stretch out the innanity out forever!

Anyway, I hope you stick around and participate even if you're not posting so much on your blog.

April 12, 2006 12:55 PM  
Blogger Qui-Gon Jinn said...

Though it will be sad to see you go, I understand your reasons for leaving.
I still hope to see you around, but you have to blog for yourself.
Please know that you have been a driving inspiration for me to keep writing and you've brought me a lot of laughs.
Thank you for a great year, Bill. Please keep close so we can follow in your footsteps.
Cheers...

April 12, 2006 6:25 PM  
Blogger Barriss Offee said...

miss you, we will!

April 13, 2006 2:22 PM  
Blogger NandeHi said...

I am so sad to see you go Yoda, You are the reason I got started blogging and met SO many great people here at star wars. What you have started here will not be easily, if ever, matched by another blogger. I have visited other "community's" but have not found the dedication, devotion and down right caring group that we have here anywhere else...I truely hope that whatever led you to blog, returns to you soon and that you will be able to join us again. Many days I would go to your site alone and laugh my tookis off cuz it is so darn funny. You have brought such happiness and fun to this group that it will not be the same without you. I feel like a cornerstone has been removed, but do not let our rambleings and whining change your mind, you need to do what is best for you - but somtimes doing what others want is what's best for us!! **there a little guilt nudge** :) gonna miss you - bless you in what ever you do.

April 13, 2006 7:47 PM  
Blogger General Grievous said...

Yeah, Bill, you wil be missed by all. I can see why you are stopping, I've come across the same barrier.

Good luck with your TV Chicken site/blog.

April 14, 2006 12:59 AM  
Blogger Vampirella said...

I understand but.. but I dont want you to go...


Chetos Obi wan posts never get old

niether does bantha who hears pickle or an others


oh well please keep in touch

April 14, 2006 7:34 AM  
Blogger Master Yoda said...

Thanks, guys. You all rock.

NandeHi, what you said was really sweet. However, as much as I would like to, I can't really take credit for "starting" this community. There were a bunch of us involved in that process. But I still really appreciate your kind thoughts.

April 14, 2006 12:52 PM  
Blogger Obi-Wan Kenobi said...

We'll miss you. As long as you log in every now and then, I'm happy.
And keep up your writing - I enjoy it and I'm sure everyone else does too.

April 15, 2006 3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home